by Durga Yael Bernhard
Publication: Jewish Lights Publishing
Take your child on a colorful adventure to share the many ways Jewish people celebrate Shabbat around the world. Shabbat Shalom!
• Beginning in an old Jerusalem market Friday morning, shopping for foods to make Shabbat meals special
• Setting a beautiful Sabbath table in Australia Friday afternoon
• Lighting Shabbat candles with a family in Turkey
• Singing zemirot with relatives in Russia
• Making hamotzi as a congregation in the United States
• Parading the Torah scrolls at Shabbat morning services in a synagogue in Germany
• Relaxing in the peace of Shabbat day in Canada
• Enjoying a special Sabbath afternoon meal in Morocco
From Israel to Thailand, from Ethiopia to Argentina, you and your children are invited to share the diverse Sabbath traditions that come alive in Jewish homes and synagogues around the world each week—and to celebrate life with Jewish people everywhere.
"Bernhard uses a global, child-centric approach to explore traditions and rituals that accompany the Sabbath. Each spread tells the story of a different child; in Buenos Aires, Alicia awakens from a nap and helps her sister braid challah, while in Istanbul Leyla joins her brother and parents around the table (“The golden rays of sunset bring a feeling of peace as Shabbat begins”). As Bernhard moves from France and Canada to Ethiopia and Thailand, warm, genial paintings add to an overall sense of serenity and community. The lyricism of the vignettes belies just how much information Bernhard packs into the book–it’s an excellent resource."